Current:Home > ScamsBurley Garcia|Closure of California federal prison was poorly planned, judge says in ordering further monitoring -FundGuru
Burley Garcia|Closure of California federal prison was poorly planned, judge says in ordering further monitoring
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 21:17:41
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Burley Garciaplan to close a troubled prison in California where female inmates suffered sexual abuse by guards was “ill-conceived,” a judge said while ordering close monitoring and care of the incarcerated women who were moved to other federal facilities across the country.
U.S. District Court Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers said in Wednesday’s order that last month’s decision by the Bureau of Prisons, or BOP, to shut down FCI Dublin “created serious concerns” for the well being of more than 600 women who were transferred out.
The prisons bureau announced April 15 that it would shutter FCI Dublin despite attempts to reform the beleaguered facility after an Associated Press investigation exposed rampant staff-on-inmate abuse. Just 10 days before the closure announcement, the judge took the unprecedented step of appointing a special master to oversee the prison near Oakland.
“Although it had as much time as needed to prepare, BOP’s operational plan for closure of FCI Dublin was ill-conceived and, like Swiss cheese, full of holes,” the judge wrote Wednesday.
Gonzalez Rogers ordered the bureau to provide a weekly status update for each transfer to the judge, the special master and attorneys for the incarcerated women who are suing the bureau.
In addition, federal officials must submit a monthly staffing report for each prison where the incarcerated women ended up, along with details of the mental health and medical health care the inmates are receiving.
Late last month, members of the Senate Judiciary Committee sent a letter to the BOP expressing concern over claims of a chaotic transfer process during which FCI Dublin inmates on buses and planes didn’t receive proper medical care and were reportedly subjected to “mistreatment, harassment, neglect, and abuse while in transit.”
Gonzalez Rogers emphasized those concerns and said that “BOP ignored other operational issues” including the proper movement of inmates’ property.
The BOP said Thursday that it doesn’t comment on matters pending before the court. However the bureau reiterated that its closure plan was carefully considered over months.
“The process involved careful planning and coordination to ensure the safe transfer of women to other facilities, with special attention given to their unique programming, medical, and mental health requirements,” the BOP statement said. “We continue to expect that the women’s needs are addressed with compassion and respect, providing ongoing support as needed.”
Gonzalez Rogers on Wednesday also denied a recent motion filed by the BOP questioning the authority of the special master. The judge scheduled a May 16 hearing on that issue.
A 2021 Associated Press investigation exposed a “rape club” culture at the prison where a pattern of abuse and mismanagement went back years, even decades. The bureau repeatedly promised to improve the culture and environment — but the decision to shutter the facility represented an extraordinary acknowledgment that reform efforts have failed.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Brave until the end: University of Kentucky dancer Kate Kaufling dies at 20 from cancer
- Migrants flown to Martha’s Vineyard by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis can sue charter flight company
- Plane crashes onto trail near Indiana airport, injuring pilot and 2 pedestrians
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Google to destroy billions of data records to settle incognito lawsuit
- Arizona names Pluto as its official state planet — except it's technically not a planet
- College newspaper sweeps up 2 tiny publications in a volley against growing news deserts
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Cute Festival Tops To Wear at Coachella & Stagecoach That’ll Help You Beat the Heat
Ranking
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Horoscopes Today, April 1, 2024
- Maroon 5 was right: Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger still has the 'Moves Like Jagger' at 80
- Sean “Diddy” Combs Celebrates Easter With Daughter Love in First Message After Raids
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- YMcoin Exchange: The New Frontier in Cryptocurrency Investment
- At least 7 minors, aged 12 to 17, injured after downtown Indianapolis shooting
- NCAA says a 3-point line was drawn 9 inches short at Portland women’s regional by court supplier
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
Sheriff’s deputies fatally shoot man in Mississippi
Ronel Blanco throws no-hitter for Houston Astros - earliest no-no in MLB history
Vontae Davis, former NFL cornerback who was two-time Pro Bowl pick, dies at 35
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Court approves 3M settlement over ‘forever chemicals’ in public drinking water systems
Lou Conter, last survivor of USS Arizona from Pearl Harbor attack, dies at 102
Study finds racial disparities in online patient portal responses