Current:Home > MyFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Families in Massachusetts overflow shelters will have to document efforts to find a path out -FundGuru
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Families in Massachusetts overflow shelters will have to document efforts to find a path out
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 00:05:12
BOSTON (AP) — Families staying in overflow shelter sites in Massachusetts will soon have FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Centerto document each month their efforts to find a path out of the overflow system, including looking for housing or a job, Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey announced Monday.
Beginning May 1, families will have to be recertified monthly to remain eligible to stay in the state-run overflow sites.
They will need to show what steps they’ve taken to work toward independence, including applying for work authorization permits, participating in a workforce training program, submitting job applications, taking English classes or searching for housing, according to the administration.
“We have said for months now that our system is at capacity, and we do not have the space, providers or funding to continue expanding,” Emergency Assistance Director General Scott Rice said. “This new certification policy is a responsible step to address the capacity constraints at our safety-net sites.”
The policy does not apply to sites operated by the United Way of Massachusetts Bay, a charitable organization.
Massachusetts has been grappling with the growing influx of homeless migrant families seeking shelter in the state.
The state’s Emergency Assistance family shelter system serves homeless families with children or pregnant women. Less than half of families in EA are new arrivals to Massachusetts.
Last fall, the administration announced that the system could no longer safely or responsibly expand and set up a waiting list. Families who qualify for emergency shelter and are on the waiting list are eligible to stay at the state’s overflow or safety-net sites, currently providing shelter for about 200 families.
The administration also announced Monday that it will be opening a new overflow shelter site next month in Chelsea at the former Chelsea Soldiers’ Home. The site is vacant and is eventually slated to be demolished.
At full capacity, the Chelsea site will be able to accommodate approximately 100 families.
The announcement comes after the Massachusetts Senate last week approved limits on how long homeless families can stay in emergency state shelters as part of an $850 million plan to fund the system at the center of the migrant crisis.
Under the bill approved late Thursday by a vote of 32-8, the state would limit maximum stays to nine months with the possibility of 90 more days for veterans, pregnant women and people who are employed or enrolled in a job training program.
Currently, there are no limits on the time a family can spend in emergency housing.
A bill already passed by the House would provide funding covering the rest of the 2024 fiscal year that ends June 30 and part of 2025. The legislation is expected to go to a conference committee to hammer out a single compromise bill before it’s shipped to Democratic Gov. Maura Healey’s desk.
veryGood! (367)
Related
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Candace Cameron Bure's Son Lev Is Married
- US to receive 2022 Olympics team figure skating gold medals after Kamila Valieva ban
- Israeli intelligence docs detail alleged UNRWA staff links to Hamas, including 12 accused in Oct. 7 attack
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. mulls running for president as Libertarian as he struggles with ballot access
- Stanley fans call out woman for throwing 4 cups in the trash: 'Scary level of consumerism'
- How Ariana Madix's New Boyfriend Daniel Wai Made His Vanderpump Rules Debut
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Greyhound bus crash in Alabama: 1 killed, 9 others injured including bus driver
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Beach Boys singer Brian Wilson mourns death of wife Melinda Ledbetter: 'She was my savior'
- Hal Buell, who led AP’s photo operations from darkroom era into the digital age, dies at age 92
- Proof Travis Kelce's Mom Donna Is Welcoming Taylor Swift Into the Family Cheer Squad
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Biden says he’s decided on response to killing of 3 US troops, plans to attend dignified transfer
- 'The Crown' star Dominic West 'spent two days in bed' over negative reviews
- Somalia’s intelligence agency says it blocks WhatsApp groups used by al-Qaida-linked militants
Recommendation
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
3 NHL players have been charged with sexual assault in a 2018 case in Canada, their lawyers say
Raquel Leviss Suggests Tom Sandoval Masterminded Vanderpump Rules Cheating Scandal
North Carolina man trying to charge car battery indoors sparked house fire, authorities say
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
An auction of Nelson Mandela’s possessions is suspended as South Africa fights to keep them
AP PHOTOS: Africa Cup is a soccer roller coaster of thrills, spills and surprises
Where do the parties stand on efforts to secure a cease-fire in Gaza and the release of hostages?