Current:Home > FinancePoinbank Exchange|Norwegian mass killer begins second attempt to sue state for alleged breach of human rights -FundGuru
Poinbank Exchange|Norwegian mass killer begins second attempt to sue state for alleged breach of human rights
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 19:11:01
STAVANGER,Poinbank Exchange Norway (AP) — Norwegian right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik, who killed 77 people in a bombing and shooting rampage in 2011, launched his second attempt at suing the state on Monday, accusing the Justice Ministry of breaching his human rights.
Breivik, who has changed his name to Fjotolf Hansen, claims that the isolation he’s been placed under since he started serving his prison sentence in 2012 amounts to inhumane punishment under the European Convention on Human Rights. He failed in a similar attempt in 2016 and 2017, when his appeal was ultimately slapped down by the European Court of Justice.
His lawyer, Øystein Storrvik, told The Associated Press that Breivik’s mental health has suffered from additional years in solitary confinement since then, leaving him “suicidal” and dependent on antidepressants. Storrvik said he would argue for an easing of restrictions and more contact with other inmates, and that he believed 12 1/2 years in isolation was “unique” in recent European judicial history.
Storrvik told the court on Monday that Breivik had hoped he could have had some form of “human relations” when he was moved from Skien prison to a spacious two-story complex in Ringerike prison near Oslo in 2022, but that the cells had been “turned into an isolation ward.”
In 2012, Breivik was convicted of mass murder and terrorism for a bombing that killed eight people in the government block in Oslo, and a shooting massacre on Utøya island where he gunned down 69 people at a holiday camp for youth activists from the center-left Labor Party.
Breivik, who described himself during the trial as an anti-Muslim crusader, pleaded not guilty, claiming he was acting in self defense to protect Norway from multiculturalism.
He received Norway’s most severe sentence at the time: detention for 21 years, with a provision to hold him indefinitely if he is still considered dangerous.
“It is no exaggeration to say that if the court does not put its foot down, then he will be sentenced to life in prison and will never be able to relate to other people,” Storrvik told the court Monday, according to Norwegian news agency NTB.
Breivik entered the makeshift courtroom in the gymnasium of Ringerike prison wearing a dark suit and tie, flanked by Storrvik. He did not flash a Nazi salute as he has done in court appearances in the past.
The government rejects Breivik’s claim that his prison conditions violate human rights.
A number of relaxations have been made in the restrictions Breivik is subject to, according to government lawyer Andreas Hjetland, who represents the Justice Ministry in the case, but the conditions are necessary for security.
Breivik has so far shown himself to be unreceptive to rehabilitative work according to a written statement from Hjetland to the court ahead of the trial, which is scheduled to end on Friday.
veryGood! (1427)
Related
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Sheriff in charge of deputy who killed Sonya Massey declines to resign, asks for forgiveness
- Earthquakes happen all the time, you just can't feel them. A guide to how they're measured
- Venezuelan migration could surge after Maduro claims election victory
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Bella Hadid was 'shocked' by controversial Adidas campaign: 'I do not believe in hate'
- Watch as rescuers save Georgia man who fell down 50-foot well while looking for phone
- The best way to watch the Paris Olympics? Hint: It isn't live.
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Stores lure back-to-school shoppers with deals and ‘buy now, pay later’ plans
Ranking
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Stephen Nedoroscik waited his whole life for one routine. The US pommel horse specialist nailed it
- Researchers face funding gap in effort to study long-term health of Maui fire survivors
- Investigation finds at least 973 Native American children died in abusive US boarding schools
- Trump's 'stop
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Belly Up
- Detroit woman who pleaded guilty in death of son found in freezer sentenced to 35 to 60 years
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's Son Pax Hospitalized With Head Injury After Bike Accident
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Orioles pay pretty penny for Trevor Rogers in MLB trade deadline deal with Marlins
Shannon Sharpe, Chad Johnson: We'll pay US track stars $25K for winning Olympics gold
Taylor Fritz playing tennis at Olympics could hurt his career. This is why he's in Paris
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Evacuations ordered for Colorado wildfire as blaze spreads near Loveland: See the map
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Belly Up
How watching film helped Sanya Richards-Ross win Olympic medals and Olympic broadcast