Current:Home > StocksSignalHub-New report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response -FundGuru
SignalHub-New report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 22:27:22
A report from Hawaii Attorney General Anne Lopez focused on SignalHubthe actions of the Maui County mayor in the response to the devastating wildfire last summer that killed more than 100 people and razed the historic town of Lahaina.
The nearly 400-page investigative report released Wednesday raises new and troubling questions about Maui County Mayor Richard Bissen and his response to the blazes.
"This is about never letting this happen again," Lopez said in a news conference, emphasizing the report is not meant to point fingers.
As hurricane-force winds raged on Aug. 8, 2023, igniting fires, several schools closed and the state was preparing an emergency proclamation.
But at multiple times during the day, Bissen said declaring an emergency was "not necessary." At 3:15 p.m., as the fire grew in intensity, state officials tried to reach him, asking if he was in the emergency operations center. They were told "no."
Instead, with reports trickling in on social media, Bissen finally signed the emergency order at 8 p.m. that night, hours after Lahaina burned down.
Last August, CBS News confronted Bissen, who had admitted not calling Maj. Gen. Kenneth Hara, the director of the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency.
"I can't speak to what — or whose responsibility it was to communicate directly," Bissen responded at the time. "…I can't say who was responsible for communicating with General Hara."
Along with killing more than 100 people, the Maui fire destroyed thousands of homes and businesses. The staggering economic loss is estimated at more than $5.5 billion.
"Very little was done to prevent something like this from happening," Sherman Thompson, former chair of the Hawaii Civil Defense Advisory Council, told CBS News Wednesday.
When asked if the government response was negligent, Sherman responded, "I think it crossed the border, it crossed the line."
CBS News has reached out to Bissen's office for comment, but has not heard back. However, Bissen posted a statement to the county website Wednesday evening which read, in part:
"We understand the state Attorney General's investigation and the hard work that Fire Safety Research Institute put into describing the nation's worst wildfire disaster in modern history. Today's Phase One report can help piece together what other fire-stricken jurisdictions have called the most complex megafire they have ever seen."
"I remain committed to bringing Lahaina residents back home so they can take additional steps toward healing," he added.
- In:
- Hawaii Wildfires
- Maui
- Lahaina
- Wildfire
- Hawaii
Jonathan Vigliotti is a CBS News correspondent based in Los Angeles. He previously served as a foreign correspondent for the network's London bureau.
TwitterveryGood! (3)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Ayo Edebiri, Quinta Brunson and More Black Women Already Making History in 2024
- Tesla ordered to pay $1.5 million over alleged hazardous waste violations in California
- Groundhog Day 2024 marks 10 years since Bill de Blasio dropped Staten Island Chuck
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Why Shawn Johnson’s Son Jett Has Stuck the Landing on His Vault to Big Brother
- Tesla ordered to pay $1.5 million over alleged hazardous waste violations in California
- Suspect accused of killing and beheading his father bought a gun the previous day, prosecutor says
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Jelly Roll duets with Lainey Wilson, more highlights from Spotify's pre-Grammys party
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Why Shawn Johnson’s Son Jett Has Stuck the Landing on His Vault to Big Brother
- Carl Weathers, linebacker-turned-actor who starred in 'Rocky' movies, dies at 76
- Did Buckeye Chuck see his shadow? Ohio's groundhog declares an early spring for 2024
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Justin Bieber Returns To The Stage A Year After Canceling World Tour
- Canadian man buys winning $1 million scratch-off ticket same day his 2nd child was born
- AP Decision Notes: What to expect in Nevada’s presidential primary and caucuses
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Plans for U.S. strikes on Iranian personnel and facilities in Iraq, Syria approved after Jordan drone attack
As Mardi Gras nears, a beefed-up police presence and a rain-scrambled parade schedule in New Orleans
Target stops selling product dedicated to Civil Rights icons after TikTok video shows errors
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Converging Climate Risks Interact to Cause More Harm, Hitting Disadvantaged Californians Hardest
Georgia sues Biden administration to extend Medicaid program with work requirement
Group will appeal court ruling that Georgia voter challenges don’t violate federal law