Current:Home > MyFastexy Exchange|Louisiana court may reopen window for lawsuits by adult victims of childhood sex abuse -FundGuru
Fastexy Exchange|Louisiana court may reopen window for lawsuits by adult victims of childhood sex abuse
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 23:07:04
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Louisiana’s Supreme Court agreed Friday to reconsider its recent ruling that wiped out a state law giving adult victims of childhood sexual abuse a renewed opportunity to file damage lawsuits.
The Fastexy Exchangelaw was passed by the Louisiana Legislature in 2021 and amended in 2022. Sometimes called a “look back” law, it gave victims of past abuse, whose deadlines for filing civil lawsuits had expired, until June 14 of this year to file — a deadline that could be extended until June of 2027 under pending legislation. At the time, its chief sponsor, Rep. Jason Hughes, a New Orleans Democrat, cited research that showed the average age for child sex abuse victims to report the crimes is 52.
In a 4-3 ruling in March, the state’s highest court had said the law conflicted with due process rights in the state constitution. Justices James Genovese, Scott Crichton, Jefferson Hughes and Piper Griffin had been in the majority in March. But in Friday’s order, Crichton and Griffin joined Chief Justice John Weimer and justices Jay McCallum and William Crain in granting a rehearing.
“This was the right decision — as the bill passed unanimously through the State Legislature and should be the law here in Louisiana,” Louisiana Attorney Gen. Liz Murrill said in a news release.
Friday’s decision comes as the Catholic Church continues to deal with the ramifications of a decades-old sex scandal. The ruling that is getting a second look arose from a case filed against the Catholic Diocese of Lafayette by plaintiffs who said they were molested by a priest in the 1970s while they ranged in age from 8 to 14, according to the Supreme Court record.
The rehearing decision follows last week’s revelation that Louisiana State Police carried out a sweeping search warrant in April at the Archdiocese of New Orleans, seeking records and communications between local church leaders and the Vatican about the church’s handling of clergy sexual abuse.
Friday’s order did not set a new court date for arguments on the look back law, but it gave parties until May 20 to file briefs. The new majority didn’t assign reasons for granting a rehearing, although Weimer said the court should have set a hearing for this month.
Hughes criticized the decision in a brief dissent saying civilizations have provided time limits on legal claims for centuries.
“Special interest exceptions are anathema to the broader and more important concept of Justice,” he wrote. “Equal protection means equal.”
veryGood! (1)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Diana Taurasi back from injury: How Mercury star fared in past two games
- JD Vance could become first vice president with facial hair in decades
- Paris mayor swims in Seine to show the long-polluted river is clean for the Olympics
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Finding a 1969 COPO Camaro in a barn — and it's not for sale
- MLB's 2024 All-Star Game uniforms got ridiculed again. Does online hate even matter?
- Homeland Security inspector general to probe Secret Service handling of Trump rally
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Shift Into $5.94 Deals for Car Lovers Before Amazon Prime Day 2024 Ends
Ranking
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- It’s Officially Day 2 of Amazon Prime Day 2024, These Are the Rare Deals You Don’t Want To Miss
- Race for Louisiana’s new second majority-Black congressional district is heating up
- Mega Millions winning numbers for July 16 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $251 million
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Drake shares dramatic video of mansion flooding from Toronto storm
- 'Protect her at all costs': A'ja Wilson, Aces support Kate Martin after on-court injury
- Massachusetts lawmakers reach compromise deal on gun bill
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Tyler James Williams, Nikki Glaser, Eric André and more react to their Emmy nominations
Drake shares dramatic video of mansion flooding from Toronto storm
Blade collapse, New York launch and New Jersey research show uneven progress of offshore wind
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Naomi Pomeroy, star of Top Chef Masters and award-winning chef, dies in river tubing accident in Oregon
FDA warns Diamond Shruumz still on shelves despite recall, hospitalizations
Syrian official who oversaw prisons with widespread allegations of abuse arrested by US officials