Current:Home > ScamsFastexy Exchange|Latest search for 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre victims ends with 3 more found with gunshot wounds -FundGuru
Fastexy Exchange|Latest search for 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre victims ends with 3 more found with gunshot wounds
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 17:48:33
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Fastexy Exchangelatest search for the remains of 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre victims has ended with three more sets containing gunshot wounds, investigators said.
The three are among 11 sets of remains exhumed during the latest excavation in Oaklawn Cemetery, state archaeologist Kary Stackelbeck said Friday.
“Two of those gunshot victims display evidence of munitions from two different weapons,” Stackelbeck said. “The third individual who is a gunshot victim also displays evidence of burning.”
Forensic anthropologist Phoebe Stubblefield, who will remain on site to examine the remains, said one victim suffered bullet and shotgun wounds while the second was shot with two different caliber bullets.
Searchers are seeking simple wooden caskets because they were described at the time in newspaper articles, death certificates and funeral home records as the type used for burying massacre victims, Stackelbeck has said.
The exhumed remains will then be sent to Intermountain Forensics in Salt Lake City for DNA and genealogical testing in an effort to identify them.
The search ends just over a month after the first identification of remains previously exhumed during the search for massacre victims were identified as World War I veteran C.L. Daniel from Georgia.
There was no sign of gunshot wounds to Daniel, Stubblefield said at the time, noting that if a bullet doesn’t strike bone and passes through the body, such a wound likely could not be determined after the passage of so many years.
The search is the fourth since Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum launched the project in 2018 and 47 remains have now been exhumed.
Bynum, who is not seeking reelection, said he hopes to see the search for victims continue.
“My hope is, regardless of who the next mayor is, that they see how important it is to see this investigation through,” Bynum said. “It’s all part of that sequence that is necessary for us to ultimately find people who were murdered and hidden over a century ago.”
Stackelbeck said investigators are mapping the graves in an effort to determine whether more searches should be conducted.
“Every year we have built on the previous phase of this investigation. Our cumulative data have confirmed that we are finding individuals who fit the profile of massacre victims,” Stackelbeck said.
“We will be taking all of that information into consideration as we make our recommendations about whether there is cause for additional excavations,” said Stackelbeck.
Brenda Nails-Alford, a descendant of massacre survivors and a member of the committee overseeing the search for victims, said she is grateful for Bynum’s efforts to find victim’s remains.
“It is my prayer that these efforts continue, to bring more justice and healing to those who were lost and to those families in our community,” Nails-Alford said.
Earlier this month, Bynum and City Councilor Vanessa Hall-Harper announced a new committee to study a variety of possible reparations for survivors and descendants of the massacre and for the area of north Tulsa where it occurred.
The massacre took place over two days in 1921, a long-suppressed episode of racial violence that destroyed a community known as Black Wall Street and ended with as many as 300 Black people killed, thousands of Black residents forced into internment camps overseen by the National Guard and more than 1,200 homes, businesses, schools and churches destroyed.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Why is there an ADHD medication shortage in 2024? What's making generics of Vyvanse, Adderall and more so scarce
- The Rock slaps Cody Rhodes after Rhodes chooses to face Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 40
- Gina Rodriguez brings baby to 'Not Dead Yet' interview, talks working as a new mom: 'I don't do it all'
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Rare centuries-old gold coin from Netherlands found by metal detectorist in Poland
- Hawaii’s high court cites ‘The Wire’ in rebuke of US Supreme Court decision that expanded gun rights
- Why aren't more teams trying to clone 49ers star Kyle Juszczyk? He explains why they can't
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Kelly Rowland Weighs in on Jay-Z’s Grammys Speech About Beyoncé
Ranking
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Jason Isbell files for divorce from Amanda Shires after nearly 11 years of marriage: Reports
- Is Bigfoot real? A new book dives deep into the legend
- Kristin Juszczyk Reveals How Taylor Swift Ended Up Wearing Her Custom Chiefs Coat
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Mojo Nixon, radio host known for satirical hit 'Elvis is Everywhere,' dies at 66
- The first tornado to hit Wisconsin in February was spotted
- Sam Darnold finally found his place – as backup QB with key role in 49ers' Super Bowl run
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Univision prepares for first Super Bowl broadcast to hit viewers' homes and hearts
Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry calls for special session, focused on tough-on-crime policies
California's big cities are usually dry. Floods make a homelessness crisis even worse.
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Dakota Johnson says being on 'The Office' was 'the worst time of my life'
Maryland Gov. Wes Moore outlines a data-driven plan to reach goals for the state
Utah governor says school board member who questioned a student’s gender ‘embarrassed the state’