Current:Home > ContactSignalHub-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -FundGuru
SignalHub-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 17:24:56
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have SignalHubagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (33578)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Erin Foster Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Husband Simon Tikhman
- Uber and Lyft say they’ll stay in Minnesota after Legislature passes driver pay compromise
- Summer reading isn’t complete without a romance novel, says author Kirsty Greenwood
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Honda, Ford, BMW among 199,000 vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
- 16 family members hit by same car, 2 dead, Michigan hit-and-run driver arrested
- Unusually fascinating footballfish that glows deep beneath the sea washes up on Oregon coast in rare sighting
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Jelly Roll to train for half marathon: 'It's an 18-month process'
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, May 19, 2024
- Drone pilot can’t offer mapping without North Carolina surveyor’s license, court says
- Family of Black teen wrongly executed in 1931 seeks damages after 2022 exoneration
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Arizona man gets life in prison in murder of wife who vigorously struggled after being buried alive, prosecutors say
- California congressman urges closer consultation with tribes on offshore wind
- Summer reading isn’t complete without a romance novel, says author Kirsty Greenwood
Recommendation
'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
Courteney Cox Shares Matthew Perry Visits Her 6 Months After His Death
Americans are getting more therapy than ever -- and spending more. Here's why.
Arizona man gets life in prison in murder of wife who vigorously struggled after being buried alive, prosecutors say
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Maine man charged with stealing, crashing 2 police cars held without bail
California county’s farm bureau sues over state monitoring of groundwater
Kylie Kelce Pokes Fun at Herself and Husband Jason Kelce in Moving Commencement Speech